HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 16:31:31 +1100
I'm not so sure I'd be so quick over those functional categories...

Is the functional classification system based on the primary intended function
at the point of manufacture, or the primary intended use at the point of
acquistion (ie, a cup made for drinking tea, but acquired to display on a
dresser)?

If primary intended function at the point of manufacture, how will the database
allow cataloguers to include data on polyfunctionality where that data is
identifiable?

Note that I'm not arguing against including functional categories if that's what
you want to do (as some people have mistakenly believed when I've previously
raised this issue), simply noting that the assumptions underlying those
functional categories should be suitably queried and justified before they're
included.  Otherwise one of those tricky reviewers might ask precisely the sort
of question I'm asking.  Sorry if this causes a fuss, but I'm writing something
on this very topic right now, so it's very much on my mind.

Otherwise, I agree with Lauren Cook (and no doubt a lurking George Miller) that
'ironstone' is an extremely problematic ceramics term, and I similarly don't use
it.  Citations can be provided if necessary.  Here in Australia there isn't any
white granite (in the tightest definition of the term) until the US Civil War
forces Staffordshire potters to dump their American market materials on other
markets, so it provides a particularly nice and potentially important temporal
control.

And I also agree with Morgan Blanchard that any concerns over spending a lot of
time typing in identical information in multiple can be mitigated by using some
sort of auto-fill feature in the database - which also has the benefit of making
sure that everyone is using the same terminology when used.

Alasdair Brooks