HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 10:47:41 -0500
I'm working on clothing related issues in Virginia, circa 1774-1778, and
frequently come across imported textiles, even after the beginning of the
war.  The trade in textiles from Britain continued, often through ports
in the Caribbean.  Numerous merchant account books list the variety of
textiles still being imported, as well as advertisements for newly
arrived merchandice appearing in colonial papers.  The information
contiained in papers is of enourmous value, yet seldom tapped into
by most archaeologists.  The PA GAzette is now on CD rom, making it
very easy to search, and others are (I understand) to follow.

Bryan Howard
Dept. of Anth
Texas A&M University