HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"M. Jay Stottman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 08:12:58 -0700
We have excavated numerous privies in Louisville, Ky. and we have used a variety

of methods to excavate them.  Privy size, shape, and depth can vary greatly,
thus some methods are better than others.  Safety is a tough issue.  I, like
others, may have been in unsafe situations, but we are learning how to cope with

this issue.  Definitely consult OSHA about the rules.  Also, you may want to
find your local privy looters and bottle collectors.  They often have devised
the safest means for excavating privies.  I know it is against archaeological
nature to consort with looters, but they often know more about privies than we
do.  I prefer to excavate the interior of the privy by hand using stratigraphic
zones, if it is not too deep.  It is possible to get about 8-10 feet deep by
using a simple shoring procedure utilizing wood planks and cross beams.  Another

option is to bisect the privy with a backhoe.  This provides an excellent
stratigraphic profile and a look at the privy architecture.  However, this too
is unsafe for extremely deep privies.  For the deep ones, a backhoe bisect can
be utilized, but excavate in segments, like 5 feet at time.  This particular
method requires a huge excavation area.  The deeper the hole the wider the hole
has to be.  One of the safest way to excavate a privy is the use of a sleeve.
This method is most common to looters who have developed cylindrical sections
that fit into each other.  I have never used this method, because I do not have
a sleeve, however, I have heard of archaeologists borrowing them from
collectors.

The previous messages on the listserv have given you plenty of things you can do

with the privy contents.  However, I would also suggest paying close attention
to the architecture of the privy itself.  Collect information about its
dimensions, volume, lining, brick size (if brick lined), quality of
construction, and shape.  Compare these attributes with other privies, you will
probably find that privies tend to be pretty unique.  Interpret trends in
architecture within the context of your area's sanitary history.  There may even

be regulations and ordinances governing the construction and use of privies.

An important issue recently being discussed amongst privy people is excavation
method, aside from safety.  As mentioned by someone earlier, excavate according
to stratigraphy.  Straight arbitrary levels through a privy are completely
meaningless.  Divide large strata into arbitrary levels.  Much can be learned
about the depositional processes of privies through the stratigraphy. Privy
deposition can be more complex than you may think.

I hope this helps.

If you have more specific questions, contact me off list.

M. Jay Stottman