HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 16:10:33 -0400
hard white substance covering the crown of a tooth

colored glassy compound (opaque or partially opaque) that is fused to
the surface of metal or glass or pottery for decoration or protection

a paint that dries to a hard glossy finish

any smooth glossy coating that resembles ceramic glaze

coat, inlay, or surface with enamel
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Technically the usage is correct. All pottery glazes are "enamels." But "Tin Enameled" is a little less specific than "Tin Glazed" and which itself is more reductive than "Tin-Oxide Glaze" or lead glaze with tin oxide opacifer, etc, etc.

Re: Barber, we owe a lot to him and the other pioneers in ceramic studies, but should always recognize that they were making it up as they went and be willing to refine our definitions as we learn.

I haven't seen the book yet, but will surely buy it eventually.

Carl Steen