Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:46:27 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
A little digging will turn up several articles on the Camel Corps in Arizona and California. The late Stan Olsen at the University of Arizona did some work on the subject and mentioned in his classes that camel bones had occasionally turned up in the desert that were thought to be animals that got loose or were let go. Also look into the "Hi Jolly" monument near Blythe, California that commemorated the Syrian, Hajji Ali, who helped the U.S. Army. 

Regards,

Jerry Schaefer

ASM Affiliates, Inc.                     
2034 Corte Del Nogal
Carlsbad, CA 92011
760-804-5757 (office)
760-804-5755 (fax)
http://www.asmaffiliates.com/ 

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard Wright
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 12:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Camels in US

Hi folks;

I am working on a book on the Camels experiment in British Columbia. I have completed the Canadian end of the research, including walking two camels along a section of the Cariboo Road.
Now I am heading south to Fort Tejon and other Southwest points to research the US end of the story.  Yes, I know the BC camels did not come from the Texas importation.
Has anyone on this list found any archeology reports or know of finds relating to camels in Texas (such as Fort Verde) Arizona or California?
I know no remains have been found in B.C. but perhaps in the dry desert there have been.

Any suggestions welcome.

Richard Wright

Wells, B.C. Canada

ATOM RSS1 RSS2