HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 19:24:12 +1000
This question is on the border of forensic and
archaeological studies.

It relates to pseudo-traumas on crania in coffins being
exhumed from graves dug into sand. The coffin wood has
decayed, but from what we see of the traces would not
have penetrated the crania during collapse of the lids.

The crania are generally well-preserved but have single
"depressed fractures" on the cranial vault. The
historical context does not lead us to believe that the
individuals died violent deaths and we suspect other
causes of these puzzling traumas.

We are, of course, getting expert forensic advice and
are looking for comparative examples in the
archaeological arena. Can anyone out there suggest any?

Richard Wright