HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Patrick Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 16:35:25 -0901
I hesitate to offer advice, since it may be too obscure to be of value, but
will try anyway.  Twentyfive years ago I found a Dutch pipe at Arkansas
Post, much like the one you describe, with a crowned 15 on the bottom of
the spur, and a coat of arms on either side of the spur.  In the search for
sources on Dutch pipes, I happened on a reference that sounded perfect;
Helbers, G.C. De Merken en het Merkenrecht van de Pijpmakers te Gouda,
published in 1942.  In Dutch, German, and French, all in the same volume!
Sponsored by some sort of tobacco institute (The International Scientific
Tobacco Association) as part of a monograph series.  I only found one copy
in North America, at Harvard, and had it microfilmed (1971 was too early
for cheap xeroxing).  I later had some friends help me with partial
translation, and found it to be a book actually coauthored by Helbers and
D.A. Goedewaagen.  The title of the Helbers portion is "The Marks and
Markright (or Trademark) of the Pipemakers of Gouda", while Goedewaagen's
piece is "The History of Pipemaking in Gouda".  This work includes
extensive illustrations of makers' marks and identification of makers,
based on archival materials held in Gouda, and runs to about 250 pages.

Ahh, the life of the professor!  Your inquiry sufficiently roused my
curiosity, so I found the microfilm, dragged an old portable microfilm
reader out of storage, nearly blinded myself in the process of turning it
on, and am now dredging through to see if I can find your mark!  As I
recall, I had trouble identifying the one I found in Arkansas.  That
recollection is borne out in the published report; I not only failed to id,
but didn't even refer to the Helbers and Goedewagen book!  Silliness of
youth, I guess, because I did find the mark, and it dates well into the
occupation period of the site.

At any rate, H&G illustrate a board (they call it a "wandboard" in Dutch, a
"Wandtafel" in German) bearing the registered marks from the 18th century
(I think!) and I don't see the crowned CM, though there are other similar
marks.  This illustration is not too clear on microfilm, however, nor is
another dated 1869.

A search through the whole book does not reveal a crowned CM; all manner of
other initials, numbers, and images of chickens, sheep, milkmaids, etc, but
no CM.  May mean that this one wasn't made in Gouda, which was apparently a
major center, but not the  only locus of Dutch pipe making.  (Aside to
bibliophiles: didn't Ian Walker publish a piece or two about Dutch pipes,
including a visit to a factory, complete with step-by-step illustrations?)
Are you sure it's CM,  For there are several makers and owners with
initials GM?

So, I guess I can't answer your query.  It was fun looking, however.  Good
luck!

Patrick E. Martin, Associate Professor of Archaeology
Director of Graduate Studies in Industrial Archaeology
Editor of IA, Journal of the Society for Industrial Archeology
Department of Social Sciences, Michigan Technological University
1400 Townsend Drive, Houghton, Michigan 49931-1295 USA
Telephone (906) 487-2070   Fax  (906) 487-2468   Internet  [log in to unmask]