HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2010 21:53:41 -0400
A couple of people asked if the papers from the Winterthur Conference were
going to be published.  That is not likely, because the conference is in
honor of Robert Teitelman’s collection and research.  A major part of that
collection was donated to Winterthur and a book titled *Success to America:
Creamware for the American Market featuring the S. Robert Teitelman
Collection at Winterthur* by S. Robert Teitelman, Patricia A. Halfpenny,
Ronald W. Fuchs II with essays by Wendell D. Garrett and Robin Emmerson was
just published on the subject.  It was published by Antiques Collectors’
Club and is lush width great color photographs of numerous “Liverpool” jugs
(English call pitchers jugs), bowls and mugs that have bat printed ships,
historical figures, and some satirical prints.  Each vessel is provided with
documentation of the event or personage being illustrated and other relevant
information.  Halfpenny’s essay “Creamware and the Staffordshire Potteries”
provides a nice concise history of its development.  Robin Emmerson’s essay
“Pottery and the Liverpool Trade” is a great summary of the importance of
that port to the trade with America.  The book retails at $75 and may be
cheaper on from online sources.

Peace,

George L. Miller