HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2013 08:21:01 +0800
The Australian Association of Consulting Archaeologists sets minimum pay rates which its members are supposed to abide by. I know I do and I have not heard a lot of complaints about others not doing so. I think in Australia the rates seem to work OK for prehistorians and for historical archaeologists in states where historical archaeology is an integrated part of the heritage industry. I think having a set of pay scales you can refer too makes it easier to get that pay scale out of clients.

It gets a bit dicey for me because I am in a situation in WA where doing historical archaeology, even on heritage registered places has been only lightly enforced. Therefore if I charge too much the client finds it easy to just dump the idea of doing archaeology and do what they want to do without it. What I find is that I get caught between a rock and a hard place. I charge the ACCA rates for myself and assistants and my assistants get that rate. The one that can  get squeezed is me. Not on paper but in actual time a project takes to final report production against the number of hours I feel I can charge that client before they walk away.  The more the argument is "this will make you feel/look good" and the less it is "you have to do this it’s the law" the harder it is to get paid properly. While my assistants always get the right hourly rate it is not unknown for my actual rate of pay to be much lower than theirs.

Gaye