HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
L J Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 10:40:10 EST
Dear Viv:

Nye was one of the big whaling families in New Bedford, where I went to high
school, and where my parents still live. Thomas, or someone else in the family,
produced and marketed "Nyeoil," a machine lubricating oil made from, of course,
whale oil.  For information on him, or on New Bedford ships, there are several
places and  you can contact:

The New Bedford Free Public Library, 613 Pleasant Street, New Bedford, MA 02740
(508) 999-6291 and 6292.  They have a Genealogy and Local History Room, run last
time I checked by Paul Cyr, a genealogist with an encyclopedic memory.  He
should be able to point you in the right direction.  There's also the Old
Dartmouth Historical Society, at the New Bedford Whaling Museum, Johhny Cake
Hill [that's the name of the street], New Bedford, MA 02740.  They may be able
to provide additional information.

Hope this helps.

Mr. Lauren J. Cook
Principal Archeologist/Project Manager