HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2012 19:00:53 -0500
Cody,

Please send me some photos off list.

I'm going to throw out a few ideas, which is a dangerous thing to do without
first seeing the pictures.

First, this form sounds very much like typical antebellum structures here in
Alabama, only we didn't use bois arc (osage orange).  Not surprising,
because Texas is where our antebellum settlers were obtaining their osage
orange saplings / seeds, so they didn't have big trees that early, or at
least not many.  (I think bois arc is a native to Texas & maybe part of
Arkansas, right?)

In Alabama, our structures sat either on brick piers or on "swamp oak" or
cedar  blocks (a big piece that resembled a cut stump).

About the sloped floor:  Here, our two room cottages (or two room with
central hall)  often have a porch attached to them in back, and often part
of that porch is enclosed  to make a 3rd room.  It is a shed room, sometimes
called a "parson's cabinet" because that's where they kept the circuit
riding preacher when he appeared on their doorstep.  Since the porch sloped
to the outside, so rain would run off, then this enclosed part of the porch
might have a sloped floor also.

But you are saying that the slope runs across two rooms, so I suppose we can
rule that idea out.

Also, what I am finding here in Alabama is that these brick piers or wood
blocks seem to have been placed immediately on the ground surface.  They
didn't dig down to subsoil to create a solid footing. So, if North Texas is
prairie, then there would be a lot of movement in that soil so that natural
shifting could have created a slope that wasn't originally there right after
construction.

And here's another thought:  are you sure the structure is frame, and not a
log cabin just covered later by clapboards?

Linda Derry
Site Director
Old Cahawba
719 Tremont St.