HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 1995 16:12:50 +0000
> THIS IS A MESSAGE IN 'MIME' FORMAT.  Your mail reader does not support MIME.
> Some parts of this will be readable as plain text.
> To see the rest, you will need to upgrade your mail reader.

Cross posted to Arch-L and Histarch.

                         CATTLE DIPPING VATS

                       REQUEST FOR INFORMATION

Roger Coleman and I are researching the history and archaeology of dipping vats
for eradication of the cattle tick in Arkansas.  We are seeking comparative
historical and archaeological references on dipping vats in other parts of the
country.  An oral history interview form has been designed and we have tried to
distribute it among our local contacts.  Anyone wishing a copy of the blamk
form may contact us at the addresses below.  We intend to have the research
completed by the SHA meetings in January.  We are willing to share our results
with any other interested researchers.

So far, we have come up with the following references:

Dinwiddie, R.R.
  1908  Notes on Cattle Tick and Tick Fever of Cattle, Tick Eradication in
        Arkansas in 1907.  Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station,
        Fayetteville.
Gow, R.M.
  1914  Tick Eradication in Arkansas.  Arkansas Agricultural Experiment
        Station, Fayetteville.
  1917  Tick Eradication Laws and Regulations of the State of Arkansas,
        State Laws and Regulations of the Board of Control.  Arkansas
        Agricultural Experiment Station, Fayetteville.
  1919  Tick Eradication Laws.  Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station,
        Fayetteville.
Ransom, B.H.
  1912  Investigations Relative to Arsenic Dips as Remedies for Cattle Ticks.
        United States Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Animal Industry,
        Washington D.C.
Vincenheller, W.G.
  1907  Cattle Tick Eradication in Northwest Arkansas.  Arkansas Agricultural
        Experiment Station, Fayetteville.

Any information will be appreciated.

Smoke (Michael A.) Pfeiffer
USDA Forest Service