HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2013 16:01:07 +0200
At some time or other, though, many of us have "acquired" experience, but
can't get work because... all the jobs are being given to those "acquiring
experience."
How many internships, volunteer-positions, half- or quarter-positions, etc.,
do we have to go through once we've got our MAs and PhDs and long list of
publications, etc., before we can be able to afford to buy the cars or
computers we need for our jobs, but which we can't get any loans from the
bank for because... we only have short-term contracts, etc.?
Granted, if money was all I wanted, I could leave my wife & kid here in
Germany and go to work in England and maybe fly home once in a while, but...
that's not how I measure "life" (and given English wages and the cost of
living in the UK, that's fairly ironic, but... there's still more work there
than there is here in Germany).