HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 08:37:05 -0500
"Charles Gulden [Gulden's Mustard] was born on September 23, 1843, in New
York City. By the age of 15, he was employed as an angraver. Two years
later, he went to work for his uncle, who owned the Union Mustard Mills.
After serving with a reserve regiment at Gettysburg during the Civil War, he
returned briefly to his uncle's shop.

Gulden opened his own mustard company in 1867. He chose Elizabeth Street in
New York for his shop, near South Street Seaport, where he could easily
obtain the mustard seeds and rare spices necessary to mix with vintage
vinegars.

By 1883, Gulden's product line included 30 mustard varieties and other
products, including olives, capers, cottonseed oil, catsup, and Warwickshire
sauce. That year, he moved down the street into a six-story building.

Drawing from his earlier experience as an engraver, Charles Gulden once
asked his brother: "Do you think it would help if we were to attach a spoon
to each bottle of No. 6, no extra charg?" Soon, the Guldens were attaching
fine, imported spoons to each bottle. He increased the visibility of his
innovative idea by distributing a catalog of his products printed in color.

In 1891, Charles Gulden, Jr. assumed control of the company. Upon his death
in 1911, his brother Frank Gulden was named president. It remained under
family control until 1962, when the founder's grandson - also named Charles
Gulden - orchestrated its sale to American Home Foods Company. The company
later became part of International Home Foods.

Source: International Home Foods archives."

Hallett, Anthony and Diane Hallett
  1997 Encyclopdedia of Entrepreneurs. Entrepreneur Magazine pp 238-239.