HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bly Straube <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:26:11 -0400
Mo,
Those pewter screw caps (called 'vices' in the C17) are a
Dutch phenomenon. Hugh Willmott (Early post-medieval vessel
glass in England c. 1500-1670, CBA Research Report 132,
2002) claims that not one has been found in England. We have
lots of them from our excavations of James Fort, established
by the English in 1607 in Jamestown, Virginia.
Bly

Beverly A. (Bly) Straube, FSA
Senior Archaeological Curator
Jamestown Rediscovery