HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Elizabeth Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:31:17 -0700
Yeah, I've already driven away more than one roommate with the roadkill....  Luckily, I've been promised a big industrial freezer to share with the biology dept!  And they've agreed to my setting up a dermestid colony!

  Thanks so much.  I really like your point about the storage materials!  And your point about hands on learning (I designed and taught programs for the Museum of Science in Boston for a number of years, so I couldn't agree more!!!).  I'm going to revise my budget right now!

  Best,
  E.

Timothy Scarlett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  You are welcome Elizabeth. I would reiterate to you the point that
good type collections are important for teaching and almost
impossible to buy. Creating them is an excellent opportunity for
learning projects and I'm a big fan of discovery-based learning! I
wouldn't worry as much about trying to buy slag, replica ceramics, or
projectile points. Concentrate on the things you will need to build
and store those collections well- cases, boxes, slides, envelopes.
You should certainly order a cat skeleton, but also order the
equipment and supplies you need to set up for defleshing without
creating biohazard waste. You'll spend the next twenty years keeping
roadkill frogs and coyotes in your freezer at home if you don't have
a good freezer in your lab.
Best,
Tim