HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:21:27 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Automatic digest processor
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>I have found a mention of a song, and was curious if anyone knew the
>song or a reference where I might find the lyrics.  The reference is
>as follows:
>
>"[Potter Hansen of Hyrum, Utah,] liked to sing, and was sometimes
>heard singing about the yard as he worked. One song he sang was
>'There's many a slip, twixt the cup and the lip'" (Nielsen 1963:
>88-89).

Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable says look at ANCAeUS: the
helmsman of the Argo (and vineyard owner)... Ancaeus was told by a slave
that he'd never drink from his own vineyard.  With a bottle of wine
before him, Ancaeus called for the slave, who says 'There's many a slip
between cup and lip'. At that moment, Ancaeus is told that there's a
boar ravaging his vineyard, and dashes out to deal with it. Of course,
he gets killed.

I'm afraid this gets you further away from your song, not closer: a
classical reference like this could be anything from opera on up/down.

Best wishes,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds