HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 1994 08:17:52 -0400
        I think that as archaeologists we all have to be concerned about
our own views mixing in with our research.  The trap of white
archaeologists excavating African-American sites (or any other non-white
group for that matter), is that the information is filtered through our
own views, ideas, and prejudices.  I think perhpas that one way to
diffuse that might be to diversify your knowledge, and to seek opinions
and ideas outside of yourself.  Use all the resources available to you,
don't simply assume you understand the significance of an artifact.
  While an artifact may have great meaning to you, it might have an even
deeper meaning to someone of that group.  By realizing you might have a
bias (unintentional or not), you can help to dampen it somewhat
                John Buckler