HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy Estes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 13:22:19 PDT
David Rotenstein wrote:

Nancy,

In two blacksmith shops I documented in Georgia (early 20th-mid
20th
century), the blacksmiths weren't buying "old iron" as far as I could
tell, they were collecting it from wherever they could get it
(roadsides, etc.).  Also, what kind of blacksmiths might you be
talking about? Blacksmithing was/is not a monolithic craft.

David Rotenstein
______________________________________
David S. Rotenstein, Ph.D.
E-MAIL: [log in to unmask]
WWW: http://www.city-net.com/~davidsr/

Since I have not begun looking into who might have been buying
old metal, I can't say whether or not blacksmiths were purchasers
or not.  But someone was buying the metal because their names
and the sale price show up in the sales bills.  As to the type of
blacksmith, once again, I have to identify a pattern of buying
behavior before I can answer your query.  It just seemed like an
interesting thread to follow out; it may not pan out at all.

Nancy O'Malley, University of Kentucky