HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dan S. Allen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2013 16:06:23 +0000
I did alot of conservation work on the St. John's cemetery in Maury County including some of the  Polk gravemarkers about twelve years ago when it was horribly vandalized.  It surrounds three sides of the church but cannot be easily seen from any of the Polk homes.  One survey Linda may be interested in is a Phase I survey we did back in 1995 for Ames Plantation, an large (18,000 + acre) land base in Fayette and Hardeman Counties, TN.  Ames Plantation is made up of several antebellum cotton farms and plantations.  The survey resulted in documenting 190 sites, primarily historic structures, and 22 cemeteries, most with corresponding house sites.  Some of the information may be available on the History and Geneaology link on their website at www. amesplantation .org   The survey report is on sile with Ames,  the TN Division of Archaeology, and the TN Historic Commission because of funding.  I found that the cemeteries were usually within a few hundred yards, easily in sight of the house.

 dan allen