HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
TAD BRITT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 07:57:04 -0600
There are a few examples of such structures remaining near
LeTourneau, MS (just south of Vicksburg, MS).  These structures were
invented by Mr. ___ LeTourneau.  He was a devout christian, inventor (in
that order), and philanthropist.  Largely self educated be invented and
develpoed numerous industrial devices.   Most notably were his
off-shore barges/platforms used in the oil drilling industry.

Other inventions were his concrete, poured in mold houses(ca.1940s).
These were intended to provide affordable housing and were designed
as single family units but could either be stacked or connected
horizontallyfor larger households.  These units were heated via hot
water piped through the floor.  At one time there were several dozen of
these structures surrounding the LeTourneau facility but today only a
few examples exist and are in disrepair.  Although his houses  were not
widely adopted in the U.S. I heard that the equipment was sold to the
Mexican Gov't and that they used the technology.

LeTourneau eventually left Vicksburg and moved to Texas (?).  There, he
founded a Christian College, LeTourneau  College, and continued his
industry as well as philanthropy.  A Biography has been published but I
do not have the citation but can access it.

If you want further information let me know.   I would be happy to send
photographs and basic measurments/floor plans that I have already
collected.  You might could persuade me to conduct some local research
(These structures are something I have been wanting to investigate
further but haven't made the right excuse to do so).

Tad
(601) 631-5425