HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Hanks, Nancy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 1994 08:42:09 CST
Another introduction to an HISTARCH subscriber:  My name is Nancy Hanks and I
am an assistant professor at Western Illinois University, working as a
researcher in the Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs and teaching
environmental geography in the geography department.  I have a Ph.D. in
historical geography, which in my case puts me very close to historical
archaeology.  My dissertation traced the route and growing dominance of French
priests that served in New Mexico Territory, and my paper for the 1995 SHA
meeting will discuss their impact on the architecture of that region.  I am
also tracking the diffusion of Tlaxcalan Indians into northern New Spain
(especially New Mexico) during the late sixteenth century.  A project far on
the back burner involves tracking the Chinese railroad workers through New
Mexico--we have them in El Paso and we have them in Arizona, so they must have
left some trace in NM.  Here in Illinois, I have just finished a report on the
1993 flood.