HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 1997 15:53:48 -0400
Larry-- Martha Zierden at the Charleston Museum has done a number of youth
projects, as has Rita Elliott of the Lamar Institute. I have worked with
"at-risk" kids at the John de la Howe School, near McCormick SC.  My
experience was good, and I'd be happy to share any information I can provide,
if you have specific questions. I would strongly suggest that you insure that
the folks responsible for the kids be present--I for one am not a good
disciplinarian, and things can get out of hand. Their teachers or counselors
had a much better handle on where things were going than I did. Also, keep
work groups down to less than ten if at all possible, and insure that you
have one adult for every 3-4 kids. My experience was great--thoroughly
enjoyable.

Good Luck, Carl Steen