From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:10:15 +0000
Bruno Galeron writes:

>So, I'd like to know your opinion about a really cheap box set I saw at
>my local retail store recently.  It's on Berlin Classics in a collection
>called "Made in Germany".

The set might possibly constitute the Berlin Classics/Bach series on
Silbermann organs.  Does the front or back cover have anything to say about
the choice of organs? If this is the Silbermann series, buy it immediately.
If not, I would still give the purchase some strong consideration.  Berlin
Classics recordings have been very good in all the genres they cover.

>Don't hesitate to offer me any advice or recommendation about other
>recordings too...  I usually prefer mid-price releases because I am
>not that rich!

For a great complete set of Bach organ works, you can't do better than the
Helmut Walcha on Archiv and the Lionel Rogg on Harmonia Mundi.  Both are
currently available at less than mid-price per disc.

Bruno also indicated some lack of intimacy with Bach's organ music and the
recordings.  The only way I know that he can gain the insight is to listen
to/sample different styles of performances.  There's modern organs vs.
historical ones - heavily legato vs.  angular - powerful vs.  intimate -
etc.  It takes time to get a good reading for yourself as to your preferred
styles.  But I can't imagine anyone having a problem with Walcha or Rogg.

Bruno might want to check out an Andrea Marcon 2-cd set from Hanssler
containing early Bach organ works.  If that turned out to be favorable,
I'd have tons of other recordings to recommend to him.  Marcon is tough,
muscular, and entirely macho - suits my tastes perfectly.  Another good
reference could come from Wolfgang Rubsam on Naxos, since the discs cost
so little.  The main thing is that Bruno or others who want to immerse
themselves in Bach organ have to get a good signal on what appeals to
them.  There are so many Bach organ recordings on the market that it
can be rather daunting without any frame of reference.  Personally, I
just kept buying and listening until I learned that the power and angular
route on historical organs is my preferred option.  It took a lot of
spending; I even had to cut down on my lunch expenses.

However, the toughest thing about all this buying is where to put the
products when they arrive at the home.  I am determined not to go rent
any mini-warehouse space, but my wife is noticing large increases in
closet space devoted to cd's.  And it's just going to get worse since
I've decided to branch out some - I've been acquiring Brahms, Prokoviev,
Debussy, Ravel, Bartok, Janecek, Sibelius, and Mahler at a fast clip.
The supply seems endless and availabity is greater than ever with choices
among real stores, websites, used outlets, and direct from the companies
on a world-wide basis.

Sorry to have gotten off track.  Anytime Bruno likes, feel free to contact
me privately; I think I can be of service.

Don Satz