From:
Eric Nagamine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 14:33:21 -1000
John Nottle wrote:

>Does anyone know when Philip Farkas left the Chicago Symphony Orchestra?
>My French Horn playing daughter has a CD of him discussing and
>demonstrating French horn orchestral repertoire.  According to the
>accompanying notes he left sometime in 1960.  As my daughter also has a
>1960 recording of Don Juan played by the Chicago, with Fritz Reiner
>conducting she is wondering if it is Mr.Farkas playing the famous Don Juan
>motif.

Farkas' last concert with the orchestra was april 27 of 1960 according
to Nancy Fako's Farkas biography called "Phil Farkas and his Horn"(ISBN:
0-9662587-0-3).  The Don Juan was recorded on February 6, 1960.  In the
Fako bio, Farkas talks about both times he recorded Don Juan, so I assume
it's him.  According to Farkas the December 6, 1954 recording was done in
essentially one take since Reiner didn't want any splices.

Out of curiosty, what is the CD that Farkas is doing the orchestral
excerpts? I know about "Shared Reflections" on Summit DCD 176, but that has
only excerpts from 3 of the RCA recordings, but there is no discussion on
how they are played.  Could you provide label and catalog info please?

Aloha and Mahalo,

Eric Nagamine