From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 06:36:47 -0700
Dave's summary of the various responses to the question "What was the
earliest piano concerto written by a woman?" prompted me to do a little
research in the Norton Grove Dictionary of Women Composers.  Fortunately,
there is a chronology at the front which eased the task somewhat!

The first female-composed piano concerto noted in the Dictionary is by
Julie Candeille, first performed by her in March 1784.  The performance
was noted in the 'Mercure de France' -- I wonder if any of our Paris-based
colleagues might be able to dig up a copy of the review to see whether
any mention might have been made of this being a 'first?'

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA