From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 17:04:40 -0500
Chris Bonds wrote:

>The other concerns a story about Arthur Loesser (Frank's brother) who
>supposedly was one of America's great pianists.  He recorded the Bach WTC
>privately and the writer hopes this will come out on CD.  From the sound of
>it I hope so too.  If anyone reading this is in a position to take action,
>I think people would flock to buy it.

Read all about him in Schonberg's Great Pianists; I believe he gets a
mention.  To people from Cleveland, Ohio, USA, of a certain age, he was
one of the local musical deities, admired especially for his Beethoven, and
the guy who had all the best piano students in the city.  Cleveland's a
classical-music-mad town, and people used to mention his name in hushed
tones.  Back when public programming was interesting, a local commercial
station ran a *series* with Loesser talking about and playing Beethoven
sonatas.  I was particularly struck by his octave passage-work in the
Waldstein (one of my major favorites).  Unlike every other pianist I'd ever
seen, he took one such passage with two hands rather than one, as written.
 The very knowledgeable interviewer asked him why, and Loesser replied,
"Because it's easier that way." He then did it both ways.  I heard no
difference, but this was before the days of super-TV fidelity.

Steve Schwartz