From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 23:25:53 -0400
Deryk Barker wrote:

>Richard, you miss my point: my suspicion is that some artists are chosen
>for recording contracts largely because of their looks rather than musical
>ability.

Okay, I finally got it through my thick skull, and I'm sure you're right,
at least in some cases.  I will mention, though, that I got my nose
thoroughly out of joint at Lara St. John's infamous "kiddy porn" picture
and never listened to the CD.  I don't even know what happened to my review
copy.  Last June, however, she performed the Second Partita in Ottawa and
I had to review it.  It was utterly amazing, among the very best
performances I've ever heard.  I remember writing that it was extremely
sensual without seeming in any way contrary to the "spirit of Bach." I wish
I could say the same for her movements about the stage.  Perhaps they were
sincere and spontaneous, but there was something of the pole dancer in the
way she deported herself.  I listened to much of the performance with my
eyes closed.

I guess the moral of this story, for me at least is that, the music on the
CD was much better than the cover, which I didn't find erotic at all.

>...  By the way, speaking of sex and music, does anyone remember the
>>name of that female cellist who performed topless in England years ago?
>
>I think you mean Charlotte Moorman - but wasn't she from the USA?

Perhaps she was, but I have the impression (based on who knows what) that
the actual concert took place in England.  I'm prepared to be corrected,
however.

Richard, who invites you to visit his music, outdoors and other WWW sites
at:  http://infoweb.magi.com/~richard/