From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 02:29:07 -0300
Renato Vinicius wrote:

>I have noted that some musics have the ability to keep it's core
>characteristics when diferent instruments are used to play them, and
>others are not.
>
>(...)a two part invention of J.S.Bach, writen for haspichard can be
>played with violins, guitars, on the piano or with a choir without loosing
>it's identity, beauty etc.  But a Prelude of Chopin, or a Beethoven Quartet
>can not - or it will sound 'nonsense' or akward?

I think that it depends on the instruments and the particular work.
Your example is right, but the first choir of Bach's St.  John Passion
performed on guitars would sound..uugh!, really nonsense.  Some Bach's
organ works transcribed for guitars or marimba or even harpsichord wouldn't
work neither.  However, Chopin's 1st prelude performed on guitars or
Tchaikowsky's 4th.  scherzo performed on marimbas wouldn't be so bad,
perhaps.  The problem is (musical taste aside) to choose an instrument with
similar characteristics to the original in the attack and sustain of the
notes.

PS:  Never try to perform a Bach's two part invention on a choir.  The
choirsters will die of asphyxia, and then you'll have some legal troubles.

Pablo Massa