From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 15:37:56 -0500
Yesterday afternoon at the Metropolitan Opera performance of Nabucco, the
famous chorus "Va, pensiero" that opens Part III of the Verdi opera was
repeated in its entirety following thunderous, sustained applause.  At the
end of the opera, the announcer on the radio commented that this was a rare
honor at the Met.

Does anyone know if this is true? In all my years going to the Met I never
witnessed a repeat.  Neither have I heard one before on the radio.  How
rarely is it done at the Met, and when and in which operas has it occurred
before?

John Dalmas