From:
Rick Mabry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:35:31 -0600
Laurence Glavin wrote:

>One of the things I liked best about Michael Tilson Thomas's program
>on PBS last spring was the profile of the piccolo player and her solo
>in the scherzo of the Tchaikovsky IVth.

Now on DVD ("Keeping Score").

   http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/tchaikovsky4/

>The show also provided glimpses of section leaders working with MTT in his
>home even prior to rehearsals, so you got an idea of the work that goes
>into the final performance. They sometimes do this with spectator sports,
>especially figure skating, as well as the olympics.

I was likewise impressed with the "In Rehearsal" part of this DVD of
Gergiev/Rotterdam Phil doing Prokofiev's Scythian Suite:

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005M204/classicalnetA/

I guess I would have come around to this piece on my own (being a Prokofiev
freak) but this took me there more quickly.  For all I know, even Steve
Schwartz would like this version.:-)

I have remarked to my friends, when we discuss the "health" or future
of the symphony here in Shreveport (it's hanging in there) that I wish
conductors would say more about the history of and the anectdotes
surrounding the pieces that are performed.  I think it is a good use of
the time at a performance and rarely fails to give me a bit more focus
and interest.  The liner notes that come with a program are nice, but I
like hearing a person telling a tale. (It can also wake the audience up
a bit.) On our topic again, is this one more way to grab the younger
audience members (once they have been dragged to the show by their parents
or teachers)?  I think videos like these two are extremely helpful.

 [By the way, pardon my harping, but I consider myself squarely in the
category of a newcomer to classical music, which is part of the reason
I am so interested in exploring this whole thread.]

Rick Mabry
Shreveport, LA