From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:13:11 -0800
Michael Cooper ([log in to unmask]) wrote of Bach's Toccata and Fugue for
organ in D-minor:

>I recently heard that this piece has generally come to be accepted as not
>by Bach, not originally in D-minor, not called toccata and fugue, and not
>written for organ, and that Stokowski once conducted a reconstruction of
>the original.

the theory was propunded I believe by prof.  Peter Williams of Hull (?)
University.

Given that his theory was that the piece was originally composed for solo
violin, the Stokowski story sounds totally off the wall.

Deryk Barker