From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 08:56:34 +1000
Beethoven's piano trios Op 1.  The first in particular is among my
favourite Beethoven.  That first theme with its unfortunate associations
with Younger than Springtime, to me sounds Romantic writ large and even at
this stage, seems to foreshadow Schumann.  There is a freshness and vigour
about the work that I find every time.  The second trio is not as well
known as the others in the set, but I think it has much the same qualities
as the first.  The darker third is the other side of Beethoven and shares
much of the power of the first piano sonata which, presumably, followed it
in order of composition.

Stravinsky's Symphony in E Flat.  I once played this on a radio program but
did not identify it until it had finished.  I surmised that some listeners
might have turned off without giving the music a chance.  It could well
have been written by Rimsky-Korsakov and sounds nothing like Stravinsky.
It is doubtless minor Stravinsky, but it's good music and well worth
hearing.

I'd also mention Shostakovich's Scherzo in F# Minor which does not accord
with Steve's request for "really good" Op 1s, but since it does not sound
like Shostakovich, is good for fooling your CM-loving friends with, if you
have any.

I thought Korngold's Op 1 would probably be interesting.  It's a piano
trio.  I've never heard it, but someone on the list undoubtedly has.
What's it like?

Richard Pennycuick