From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:34:57 +0000
Bernard Chasan writes concerning Beethoven:

>Concerning the Ninth Symphony, the finale is (to me) a letdown after
>boldness and edgy beauty of the earlier movements.

I find the last movement abundantly bold and edgy, a natural culmination
of all that has come before.  Obviously, I don't hold with the premise
that the finale is 'out of character' for Beethoven, feeling that it
fits him like a custom-made suit.

Concerning Bach's St. Matthew Passion:

>As for the Passion, my reaction is not based on the music, but on the
>content.

I'm sympatico with Bernard about the words.  Concerning all of Bach's
sacred choral works, I do my best not to dwell on the words, but on the
emotions behind them.

Don Satz