From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:44:35 -0600
Bob Dubois wrote:

>Maybe you should be able to understand my point of view knowing I'm a
>person thinking only composers can deserve the biggest respect.  It's
>almost a religious way of thinking about it.  This is one of the reasons
>I don't participate to the "Re: Repeats": if the composer wrote a repeat,
>you just have to play so.  Don't forget many composers are bigger geniuses
>than any of us.

Oh please!  OK, some composers, yes even many composers had great gifts.
For music.  This nonsense about the near-god status of composers has to go!
Beethoven wrote great tunes, but he couldn't multiply.  Einstein wrote
great physics.  Dickens wrote great books.  Salk wrote great medicine and
Agassi writes great tennis!  They're humans, with highly refined skills
in a specific field.  They are not deities.  They are not objects to be
worshipped.  Miles Davis was a great musician for whom I have no respect
as a person.  He was rude, crude, antisocial and just plain awful to
women.Let's put these fellas into some proper perspective here!

>By the way we don't skip chapters of a book neither (even when the author
>wants to repeat his introduction literally in the conclusion, we don't
>print "see introduction")

*You* don't skip chapters in a book.  I have skimmed many a tome when there
was only a specific item I needed from it.

Kevin Sutton