From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:29:46 -0600
Deryk asks me:

>> The level of orchestral playing - especially from the London Symphony
>> Orchestra - is superb, simultaneously suave and powerful.
>
>Is that spectacular trumpet clam still present in Jupiter?

Have re-listened.  I hear a slight scrambling about 1' 15" from the end,
but nothing that could be described as a "spectacular clam." Can you be
more specific where it occurs? Now, you mentioned the LSO.  In the Planets
recording, the orchestra is the New Philharmonia.  The LSO plays for
Previn's account of Egdon Heath and the Perfect Fool ballet music.  I also
checked the last Boult recording with the LPO.  The trumpets again do some
scrambling about a minute from the end, but nothing that one would describe
as a blatant blat.

Steve Schwartz