From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 2009 15:20:54 -0700
Richard responds to Gerhard Griesel <[log in to unmask]>:

>> After Ed Zubrow's introduction to us of Hans Rott, I listened to some
>> brief excerpts on Amazon, and ordered a CD. Sounds promising.
>
> Rott's first and only symphony is indeed interesting and frequently
> engrossing.  Had he lived to write a second and third, they would
> probably have given Mahler a run for his money.

That is what Mahler thought as well. He wrote in a letter  to Natalie
Bauer Lechner:

  "He (Rott) is so much akin to what is most particular to
  me, that we seem to to me like two fruits from the same
  tree, growing from the same soil, nourished by the same
  air.  I could have benefited greatly from him, and perhaps
  between us we could have virtually covered the whole range
  of the new musical era that was then opening up"

reference: LaGrange: "Gustav Mahler. Vienna, the Years of
Challenge, 1894-1904",page 271.

Bernard Chasan