From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 17:18:11 +0000
Jane wrote:

>Bob, I have a two questions about this post.
>
>1.  Why do you not like a CD with multiple composers on it? Is it to
>experience the different types of music the composer writes? rather than
>comparing one composer to another?

It is simply a matter of collecting and filing.  I have special rack that
I just made 2 days ago for all my Haydn CDs.  There are 400 of them.  But
annoyingly three of them have other composers on them.  So now I'm in the
situation of having to remember that one of my Haydn CDs has a Schubert
mass on it as well.

If I want to compare two composers then I can simply switch over CDs.

What I find most annoying is when there's a cd with 60 minutes of Mozart
say (which I already have) and one Micheal Haydn concerto which I'd like.
Can't the record companies find some more MH to give us.

>2.  I would like to have the information for subscription to some of the
>music catalogues as you have mentioned, namely the Penguin Guide and the
>Schwann.  Any one else out there on the list that has the information, I
>would appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.  I have a Border's and Barnes and
>Noble close but don't know of a Tower other than in center Philadelphia.
>I am in Bucks County.

I'm in the UK and as I mentioned the Schwann appears to be unobtainable
here.  May I suggest that you write to Don Satz who is in Seatle, I
believe, and seems to have a lot of knowledge about these matters.

The Penguin guide comes out annually.  Sometimes they print a thin update
but more usually it's a thick volume.  There's no subscription involved
with it as basically it's a book.  In the UK this cost's around $30.  But
you'd probably get it cheaper in the US.  It should be obtainable from the
music section in any good book shop or larger classical cd retailer.  In
London Borders definately stock it.  I think the guides updated each
Nov/December time.

Bob Draper