From:
"Robert M. Stumpf II" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:03:30 -0400
The Philadelphia Orchestra will release a 12 disc set of recordings in
September.  At this time I have not had the chance to audition them, but
will do so as soon as possible.  Transfers were made by Mark Obert-Thorn.
I will not list all the contents but will mention a few gems.  There is
the first ever Philadelphia recording, Brahms' Hungarian Dance #5 made
with Stokowski in 1917, the first ever 33 1/3 LP with Beethoven's 5th and
Stokowski in 1931 and an unissued Sibelius Violin Concerto with Heifetz and
Stokowski in 1934.  There are also some later Stokowski items from the 60s
including the love music from Wagner's Tristan und Isolde (commercially
issued but not previously on CD) and live performances of Sibelius'
Symphony #2 and Tchaikovsky's R&J.  There are also several Ormandy items
including Piston's 7th Symphony and Shostakovich's 6th.  There are several
Muti items.  Sawallisch is represented on two discs including Martinu's
Symphony #4.  Guest conductors include Reiner, Tennstedt, Scherchen,
Walter, Munch, Kertesz, and Toscanini.  There are several vocal items with
Stokowski which were recently released on a BellaVoce disc.  There is
Kapell's Brahms 1st with Ormandy and Mozart's PC #17 with Richter and
Ormandy.  There are more items, but I don't want to list them all.  I
searched the Philadelphia Web Site http://www.philorch.org/ but couldn't
find an email.  I have written them and hope to get review sets as soon as
they are available.  I would suggest that you might want to find the email
and let them know you are interested.  Tell them Stumpf sent you.  Peace,

bob stumpf
http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/maestrno/