From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 02:15:37 -0400
There are some fine recordings of Ullmann's 7 piano sonatas; I have
a recording of #s 5-7 and the 3rd string quartet on Koch International
that I am very pleased with.  The 6th is compact, in connected movements
of which the last somewhat reflects the first, and is well-played on the
CD by Edith Kraus who gave the premiere at Terezin.  It is gracious.  The
5th and 7th are deeper, though not necessarily better (I like all 3), with
memorable finales (a fugue for #5 and a theme, variations and fugue for #7)
and a scherzo in 7 that just shoots out of there ;).  There have been a
number of other recordings, both of 5-7 (cpo), 1-7 (Bayer I think), and 1-4
and 5-7 on individual disks (Editions Abseits).  The piano concerto (which
I heard in llive concert, but it's on Bayer) reminds me curiously of
Barber's at points and is quite fine.  Gramophone's review of the complete
songs (Orfeo) was very, very positive.  -Eric Schissel (who also likes
Gideon Klein and Erwin Schulhoff...)

Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
http://www.lightlink.com/schissel ICQ#7279016