From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 08:21:01 +1100
Steve Schwartz reviewed:

>         Vadim Repin
>   Russian Violin Concerti
>
>* Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto in D, op. 35
>* Myaskovsky: Violin Concerto in d, op. 44
>
>Vadim Repin, violin; Kirov Orchestra/Valery Gergiev
>Philips 289 473 343-2 {DDD} TT: 71:48

Anyone with an urge to acquire the Myaskovsky concerto, or another
version of it, might also be interested in Naxos's coupling of it with
the Vainberg Violin Concerto.  I've seen only one pretty positive review
of this, and it made no mention of the Repin CD for comparison.  To
complicate matters, Chandos has started a series of Vainberg's symphonies,
using the Weinberg spelling, and the violin concerto might also turn up
there.

Steve confided:

>Tchaikovsky, one of my favorite composers, wrote my second-favorite
>violin concerto.

Ok, Steve, come clean.  Which is your favourite?

Richard Pennycuick