From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 19:03:36 +0000
I haven't been a big fan of Liszt's music, as I traditionally have
considered it of the over-blown variety.  However, the reading I've done
on the theory of intonatsia leads me to think that many of the recorded
performances I've heard simply don't create the appropriate foundations
for the extreme emotional displays that Liszt writes into his compositions.
So, I'm going to shed my stubborness about the matter and dive into Liszt.

Presently, I don't have a single Liszt disc of any type and would like to
start with the three years/books of Annees de Pelerinage.  There's a strong
element of nostalgia for my choice; my dad gave me his LP set of the Berman
recordings just before his death.

These are the discs of "Annees"(one book or more) that I'm aware of:

Berman - DG
Dominici - Fabula Classics
Nosikova - Centaur
Chiu - Harmonia Mundi
Brendel/Kocsis - Philips
Castro - Arte Nova
Arciuli - Strad.
Lortie - Chandos
Bolet - Decca
Fiorentino - APR
Tsuda - Cypres
Kempff - Philips(partial book?)
Howard - Hyperion
Gekic - Palexa
Jando - Naxos
Stephenson - Olympia
Ciccolini - EMI

I'd appreciate any and all comments on the above versions as well as your
knowledge of any other recordings which are available.  Later today, I will
be hitting the best store in Albuquerque to obtain some versions, but I
assume I'll have to order most of them off the internet.

Don Satz