From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:07:33 +1100
While I am in almost total agreement with Steve Schwartz's review, a few
points.  Steve referred to:

>... the "Dargason" (also known, at least in the U.S., as "The Irish
>Washerwoman")

I checked my copy of the CD with the first movement of Leroy Anderson's
Irish Suite, which uses "The Irish Washerwoman" and while they might be
similar, I don't think they're the same.

There are at least a couple of other CDs by Fennell and his wonderful
ensemble which appeared somewhat earlier than the one Steve reviewed
and are worth a reminder:

*Jacob:  William Byrd Suite; Walton:Crown Imperial; Holst:  Hammersmith;
Robert Russell Bennett:  Symphonic Songs; Clifton Williams:  Fanfare and
Allegro (Mercury 432 009-2; 61:30)

*Grainger:  Lincolnshire Posy; Hill Song #2; Persichetti:  Symphony for
Band; Khachaturian:  Armenian Dances; Walter Hartley:  Concerto for 23
Winds; Bernard Rogers:  Three Japanese Dances (Mercury 432 754-2; 71:28)

Last time I checked the online Mercury list, quite a few had fallen foul
of the deletion axe, so I can't guarantee that these are readily available.
The one Steve reviewed was released a couple of years ago, and may itself
be in danger.

Finally, a warning against a Telarc CD which I bought in desperation
secondhand one day and discovered the release of the Mercury CD the next.
It contains Fennell and the EWE in both Holst suites, a fantasia by Bach,
and Handel's Fireworks Music.  Not only are the Holst suites not as sharp
and electric as the Mercury recordings (although the bass drum will scare
the wits out of any small life forms under your floor, not to mention your
neighbours), but the rest of the CD is somewhat less than essential; the
whole thing runs only 43:32, which is just ridiculous.  No, the Mercury is
the one to have.

Richard Pennycuick