From:
Ruben Stam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:18:31 +0200
Deryk Barker wrote of a collection of settings of songs from Tolkien:

>There was one maybe 25 years ago with Swann at the piano - don't recall who
>was the singer.  Was this the same LP that had Tolkien himself reading his
>elvish poetry? Damned if I can remember.

The singer on this (the only) recording was the appropriately named
baritone William Elvin.  In the beginning of the nineties Collins/Caedmon
released an number of tapes with J.R.R.  Tolkien and his son Christopher
reading poetry and prose from The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and Lord of
the Rings.  One of these, 'Poems and Songs of Middle Earth', had the
Swann/Tolkien song cycle on it.  I bought the tapes in London but do not
know whether they are still available.  Swann was trying to arrange a
modern recording of the songs in 1993, but unfortunately died of cancer
before anything came of it.  The song cycle was later supplemented by
'Bilbo's Last Song', a gift of Swann's to Tolkien's widow, which can be
found on the Nimbus CD 'Amiscellany' (on which John Amis performs various
party pieces with musical friends).

Ruben