From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 19:17:01 -0500
Donald Satz originally wrote:

>>Recordings of Christus am Olberge are infrequent.  I'm only aware of
>>three versions on cd, and one of them, from Bella Voce, was recorded in
>>the 1950's.  I am not familiar with that one, but I have the other two
>>recordings:
>>
>>Christoph Spering - Opus 111, 30-281 (1999).
>>Serge Baudo       - Harmonia Mundi, 905181 (1987).

To wit Norman M. Schwartz added:

>There is at least a third recording and its available on Berlin Classics,
>0091322BC, Volume II of "Der Unbebkannte Beethoven" performed by Helmut
>Koch/Rundfunk Sinfonie- Orchester Berlin, (vocal soloists and choir).

I remember listening to a recording by Eugene Ormandy and the Philadephia
Orchestra (Columbia Records, of course) some years ago, but I don't recall
if it was on cassette or CD.  I had no luck finding a copy in the newer
format when I checked a library database (WorldCat) a few minutes ago.

I remember one peculiarity with the performance.  Apparently, Ormandy added
a tympani part to the end of the soprano/chorus number.  (I don't have a
score handy, but I believe Beethoven ended the tympanist involvement part
with the fff climax in that movement.) Presumably the conductor did this
to give the ending some "oomph," which IMHO it doesn't need.

Mark K. Ehlert