From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:21:45 GMT
John Grant writes about Gould's Bach performances:

>Where some Bach is given exquisite treatment, Gould is capable of being,
>for want of a better term, quite cavalier at times.  One senses
>that he wans't equally taken or enthused with everything Bach wrote.

I don't doubt the validity of John's comments, but they did get me to
thinking about the "equally taken or enthused" aspect.  Just taking the
English Suites as an example, there are 36 movements in this body of works.
I would assume that no artist would be equally enthused about each of the
36 movements - that seems resonable.  So my question to the performing
artists on the list is this:  how do you appear fully enthusiastic when
you perform a work or portion that you're not particularly enamored of
in comparison to other sections of the work?

Don Satz