From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:43:41 -0700
Our esteemed Mr.  Rabushka asks about tangent pianos.

A tangent piano is distinguished by the method of sound production
on the strings.  Apparently the strings are "struck by moving slips of
wood resembling harpsichord jacks rather than hinged or pivoted hammers".
 [Groves' Dictionary of Musical Instruments] The article goes on to mention
important makers, &c.  None of this is as helpful as the diagram provided
which shows how the string is struck after the key is depressed, which
makes it very clear what the deal is, and why.  Sorry I can't reproduce it
here...maybe if I got really clever with punctuation?

On this thread:  I'm checking out another of the Bachakadamie Edition.
This one, by Robert Hill (same guy as does the Art of the Fugue) plays
a "lute-harpsichord", which is apparently some variation on the hpd with
gut strings!!!  It sounds really weird.  No tinny sound here, more like a
plucked lute--go figure.  But definitely a keyboard, this is all I could
glean from the liner notes.  Anybody have any experience with such a thing?
Apparently Bach owned at least 2, and Mr.  Hill plays both lute (suite BWV
996) and harpsichord works.  Again:  weird.  But very pleasant.

This volume (number 109.  Sheesh.  whatever) is actually called "Works for
the Lute-Harpsichord".  Hmm.  Who knew?

Bob K.