From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 09:11:12 -0800
Hector Aguilar ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Peggy Lucero <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>Who is the best recording of [Beethoven's] 9th symphony?
>
>For my money you can't go wrong with Furtwangler's 1951, Bayreuth Festival
>Orchestra performance on EMI; and the good news is that it's a fairly
>easy-to-get recording, or at least it used to be.

The horn player went spectacularly wrong in the slow movement!

The 1954 Lucerne 9th with the Philharmonia is available on both Tahra
and Music & Arts and is in far better sound and better played.

Not that there is a *single* best Beethoven9.
(http://turing.cs.camosun.bc.ca:8080/Beethoven)

Deryk Barker