From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:35:28 -0800
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Jocelyn Wang wrote:
>
>>All the critics combined have not contributed to music as much as even
>>a single, semi-talented composer.
>
>Berlioz, maybe?

Interesting you should mention Berlioz.  He never won much acclaima as
composer in his own time (but much reknown as critic).  Had he composed
brahmsian Academic Ouvertures perhaps he might have won more respect
as composer in his time.  But the Grande Messe for four orchestras and
himmelstuermende phantastische sinfonien and the rest of his splashy stuff,
would perhaps had attracted producers of Hollywood films, had HE been born
in 1956 instead of Mozart.  Imagine in "Indepencence Day" or the planned
film about Usama Bin Ladein, World Trade Cented dissolves in a gigantic
fireball to the music of Berlioz'"Dies Irae"!!  (Sorry for the morbid
example though).

Berlioz is interesting to me from this very same aspect in the way
he uses strategies to get away with his composing procedure.  I know
Schumann and Verdi barked a lot on his music (although they later,
mildered their opinions) being raw and ugly.  I also though this about
Symphonie Phantastique for example, where dissonants occur in "Passions"
and everything.  But as more as I got to know 20th century modernist music,
I came to more peace with Berlioz "ambitious" stuff.  The works like "Le
Carnavail Romain" are most splashy, but so effectful.

I don't think that it has been by chance Berlioz has won more acclaim as
composer in the century that followed upon Richard Strauss.  For those who
doubt that Berlioz will be remembered I want to remind you about the work
of which himself though "This surpasses everything ever composed before (by
anyone)": und zwar the opera "Les Troyenes".  It is seldom played in its
full version, and therefore few have heard it that way, and has therefore
been deprived to know how many great samples of geniality which are saved
there.  Wagner is outstanding yes, but sometimes I think that if I one day
get tired of everything I will trash all the thousands of CDs that I have
collected, and saving only one set.  Then I retire to a desert Island and
listen to the "les troyenes"-CDs and be happy in my soul myself I got them.

Mats Norrman