From:
Bill Cutler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:35:10 -0500
John Proffitt quotes (and I add my 2-cents worth, the value of which
even inflation has not increased):

>BRUCKNER EFFECT: Child speaks very slowly and repeats himself
>frequently.  Gains reputation for profundity.

All the while playing ever so loudly and continuously on this toy trumpet.

>WAGNER EFFECT: Child becomes a megalomaniac.  May eventually
>marry his sister.

But, even as a child, develops this amazing patience to listen to bedtime
stories that extend over 4 nights while he bangs a persistent tune with
his toy hammer.

>MAHLER EFFECT: Child continually screams - at great length and
>volume - that he's dying.

But still manages to write his own bedtime story -- about himself.

>IVES EFFECT: the child develops a remarkable ability to carry
>on several separate conversations at once.

A few of which are variations on the conversations of other people.

>And then of course, THE CAGE EFFECT -- Child says nothing for 4
>minutes, 33 seconds.  Preferred by 9 out of 10 classroom teachers.

To close on a serious note, I do believe (in a complimentary sense)
that John Cage is a good choice for these comparisons to childhood,
having just an hour or two ago listened to and enjoyed his Suite for
Toy Piano.

Bill Cutler,
totally affiliate-less